Why Cryotherapy is the Detox You Need for Healing a Hangover
For thousands of years, celebrations and festivities have been accompanied by copious amounts of food and drink. For proof, you need look no further than Dionysus, known as the Greek god of wine. Today, we need very little reason to celebrate: holidays, birthday parties, or Friday nights out with friends. And while taking part in those festivities is enjoyable, like with most good things, it can be very easy to overindulge, resulting in a bad hangover. The next day you may find yourself in dire need of a detox. But before you head over to an IV clinic or call out of work for the day, there are a few easier, faster and more affordable solutions.
DRINK WATER. LOTS OF IT
Alcohol is a diuretic and dehydrates the body. And since your body is made up of 50-70% water, it’s vital that you replenish. Water not only helps to rehydrate but also flushes out waste from your body, lubricates tissues and joints and supports brain functions. Add lemon or cucumber to give it flavoring.
EAT NUTRITIOUS FOODS
Drinking a lot causes you to also pee a lot, draining you of key nutrients. Eating healthy foods, especially ones high in antioxidants and electrolytes like potassium which get lost during alcohol consumption, can help stabilize your body and make you feel better.
- Eat bananas which are rich in potassium, an important agent in nerve and muscle function.
- Watermelon is high in water content, making it a great fruit for rehydrating.
- Sweet potatoes are another food high in potassium and Vitamin A, which stimulates the production of white blood cells.
- Blueberries are a great antioxidant, helping to reduce inflammation and protect your cells from free radicals.
WHOLE BODY CRYOTHERAPY
Hydration and healthy eating are a must when detoxing, but when you want to feel better right away, cryotherapy is the ticket. Cryotherapy works by circulating very cold air around the body for 3 minutes. Just one session can help you feel better, faster by boosting your body’s endorphin production. Endorphins are chemicals in your brain and nervous system that relieve pain and reduce stress, helping you to feel relaxed. They also improve your mood and energy level. And if you’ve had a hangover, it can feel like your whole body is in pain. Cryotherapy can help by relieving bodily aches and pains by reducing inflammation and swelling. Along with endorphins, your blood is enriched with oxygen, nutrients and antioxidants to help restore your cells and repair damage from oxidative stress.
Cryotherapy has many advantages that may make it better than other detox remedies like IV treatments.
- Cryotherapy is less invasive. While IV clinics use needles to inject solutions into the bloodstream, cryotherapy treatments use cold air to naturally send a rush of nutrients into the bloodstream to areas of the body that need it most.
- Shorter treatment time. IV drips can take anywhere from 20 minutes to one hour. A single cryotherapy session only takes 3 minutes and results are felt immediately.
- Cryotherapy treatments are usually more affordable than IV therapies, giving you more financial freedom to book appointments as needed without stress.
When it comes to hangovers, as the saying goes “An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure”. However, when the deed has been done, staying hydrated, eating well and investing in a cryotherapy session are the remedy you need to feel better, faster.